Our client in the Retail Industry is currently looking for a Health and Safety Manager based in Durban, To ensure a safe workplace environment without risk to health. Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated. Co-ordinate the development of health & safety policies, systems of work and procedures. You will have to travel to different retail stores. So own vehicle is essential for the role
Duties & Responsibilities
- Respond to employees’ safety concerns and institute investigations.
- To ensure that expectations are exceeded whenever possible.
- To ensure that all systems are followed and to treat customers/ staff in a friendly and polite manner and do everything in their power to exceed expectations.
- To deal with feedback, whether positive or negative, in a courteous, efficient and timely manner.
- Implement the company’s OHS plans and strategies.
- Ensure compliance with the OHS Act.
- Establish and coordinate OHS Committees.
- Ensure the development and adherence to OHS policy and procedures.
- Develop and implement Disaster Management/ Recovery Plan
- Review and make decisions in events where an employee has refused to work on the grounds that danger exists, or the work will cause danger to the employee(s);
- Raise management and staff awareness of safety accountabilities and responsibilities.
- Identify and test work areas for potential accident and health hazards.
- Record and report hazards, accidents, injuries and health issues within the workplace.
- Facilitate the investigation of accidents and unsafe work conditions, study possible causes and recommended remedial action.
- Monitor and ensure maintenance of intranet systems.
- Compile and oversee and continuously update the OHS and contractors registers.
- Plan and Coordinate emergency procedures such as evacuation drills and first aid crews
- Form part of internal and external audits
- Lead and make recommendations at monthly OHS meetings;
- Create and review the OHS Policy and clear objective to be achieved for the year or agreed period;
- Conduct thorough risk assessments of the entire workplace with the objective of reducing hazards and risks to an acceptable level;
- Create and manage a successful and functioning OHS Committee with H&S Representatives representation, to drive OHS within the organisation;
- Arrange annual OHS training for the company in first aid, firefighting, H&S representative, and supervisor;
- Create and review safe work procedures across the organisations operations and maintenance and wherever necessary;
- Ensure regular (monthly) workplace H&S inspections to ensure OHS policy, objectives and safe work procedures are being adhered to;
- Monitor, implement, and review OHS and equipment performance to ensure compliance and continual improvement.
- Monitor, implement and review Covid regulations to ensure compliance and continual improvement.
- Ensure all Department of Labour inspections are clear.
- Ensure the relevant H&S information on the Intranet is updated at all times.
- Ensure proper H&S induction is given to all employees.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- Own reliable vehicle.
- A valid Grade 12 certificate; ·
- A three year Degree or National Diploma Health and Safety or Safety Management or equivalent qualification.
- Certificate of training on SAMTRAC or OHSA’s.
- 3 years administrative experience in a Health and Safety environment.
- Knowledge of relevant Legislations, construction regulations, standards, incident, investigations techniques, risk assessment methodologies
- Strong knowledge of Emergency Evacuation Procedures.
- Computer Literate (Microsoft Office & Outlook)
Package & Remuneration
R22,00 to R25,000.
8 stores in Durban, 2 in PMB, and may occasional fly to see the 3 stores in Cape Town. In addition it would include the two warehouses in Durban and the warehouse in Cape Town.
The employee will be reimbursed at R4.64 per km, through the monthly payroll.